Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Grow journal - Free seed, first grow

(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

I ordered a pack of free seeds the week of Christmas, and finally started germinating them on January 10. Since I haven't managed to kill them yet, I figure it's time to start a journal!

My budget is extremely low, and I have next to 0 experience. I grew one plant to flowering about 18 years ago, but it wasn't pretty. In honor of my state going legal this past November, I decided to give it another try.

I had some coco pucks sitting around from an abandoned project, so that is my medium of choice. I will be using hempy buckets for this grow -- mini Solo cup hempys for seedling, and 2L bottle hempys for veg and flower. I'm using Masterblend nutes, and got a screaming deal on a 100w full spectrum LED board from Amazon. Away we go!

Jerry liked
Topic Tags
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

To back track a bit, here's how it's been going:

January 10 - I started to soak 6 seeds. I wanted to see 2-3 through to adulthood, and that seemed like a safe number to account for duds or males.

January 11 - 5 of the 6 seeds cracked a bit, so I moved them to a damp paper towel in an open sandwich bag.

January 12 - 4 were showing taproots, the 5th that cracked looked unchanged, and still nothing from number 6.

January 13 - Ignition! My first sprout was peeking out.

January 14 - The 4 that originally showed taproots were all successfully sprouting! The 5th and 6th seeds never went anywhere. I dug up no. 5 and saw that its taproot was poking out a tiny bit, but it had turned brown. User error, I'm sure.

January 15 - First little baby serrated leaves are making an appearance.

January 19 - And then some more!

I struggled in the first and second week with getting humidity correct. It was either too little, or the poor things looked soaked. Nonetheless,

January 24 - Three of my four babies were doing well enough. The fourth one is a little special. Even though her leaves have been kind of runched up and shaped funky, she's managed to be the farthest along in development the whole time. I have high hopes for this little mutant.

One of the downsides to growing with hempy buckets is that growth is slow until roots make their way into the pot's reservoir. The first two weeks definitely tested my patience and I wondered if I wasn't slowly killing them off. But things seem to have really taken off in the third week of growth!

January 30 - Looks like they're outgrowing their Solo cups to me.

February 1 - Transplanted into 2L bottles and stuck in their forever home tent. Still have one straggler there, but I won't give up on it until it kills itself.

Now that I'm out of the awkward baby stages, I'll try to throw up a weekly update. 😀 I'm going to try starting some LST in a couple days, and looking forward to that!

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@aj999)
Member Admin

Excellent, thanks for the update, keep them coming as there are alot of folks who buy my seeds that are just starting out like you. They will benefit so much from your experiences!

ReplyQuote
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

For sure for sure, I will! If I can do this, anyone can. Words I might come to regret if I manage to murder these (hopeful) ladies ... but no, truly, they seem to do the best when I forget them for a day or two. And yes, the freebie seeds arrived and most have sprouted, as anyone can see. What happens to them now is my fault. 🤣 

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Also forgot to say that I planted the seeds all in wet coco late on the evening of Jan 12 -- so I was very surprised to see a seedling sprout just 12 hours later, as pictured for Jan 13. I thought it'd take two days at best. 😀 

One other omission, I started to feed the seedlings at day 10 or so after sprouting (so, January 23rd?) with a very weak solution. I don't have any meters, not even ph test strips currently. I mixed 1/2 a tsp of Masterblend premium fert, 1/2 tsp of the Masterblend calcium nitrate, and 1/4 tsp of epsom salt into 1L of water and fed them that over the next week. I think I could've fed heavier, based on what I've since read about coco grows.

In any case, I've started to fert heavier since repotting in the 2L bottles. On Jan 30 they got 1/4 a L of Masterblend suite mixed at the ratio mentioned above, same on Jan 31, and from here on out I will try to give them that every 12 hours. A lot of run-off is expected in the hempy method, and I'm OK with leaving them to sit in their piddle to raise the relative humidity!

This post was modified 8 months ago by liability.esquire

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

back again!

February 11 - They got a lean on from my first attempt at LST. I've also started to defoliate a bit; top left is good to go but the bottom two will get haircuts tomorrow. The fan leaves I'm plucking are bigger than the first pic makes it seem, I think! The top right plant is the one I had in a solo cup in prior photos, and kept it in there for way too long due to some life business. I think it forced some early flowering due to that, or it may be my only/earliest auto in the bunch. But hey, either way -- It's a girl!!

This post was modified 7 months ago by liability.esquire

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@aj999)
Member Admin

Nice! Keep the updates coming!

ReplyQuote
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Whew! It's been a minute! My life has been busy, which unfortunately got taken out on the girls a bit.

The runt plant gave up pretty soon after my last posting. It had basically no living leaf-structures, it was just doomed. I screwed it over by not transplanting it along with the rest. One of my best remaining gals then died due to some rot that set in where the base of the main stem met the coco coir. I think I might have cracked it there while trying to train it, and didn't notice? Not sure. Just had a half-inch section of stem get rotty and turn black, and the plant died.

BUT! I still have two healthy plants, they're both ladies, and they've been doing fine despite my best efforts. Here are some pics:

February 16: This is who I'm still dealing with!

February 24: I took a vanity shot of my cat with the plants. I'm telling you, I have no other pics! I was busy and neglectful!!

February 27: Plant 'C' flowers at the end of week 1ish? of flower? I wanted to take a good in-progress shot of the flower structure on this date. I was sad because buds small, buds sparse, buds not sparkle. You know, because once they bloom, I want fully mature flowers instantly and all.

NO pictures, but in the middle here, I burnt the shit out of my plants by going too hot with nutes and lower my light farther than it needed to be (I think?) on the same night. I pruned out the completely shitted leaves, but most pics from here on out have burnt tips and some outliers. The problem has been corrected! I hope! but its legacy will live on...

March 7: Same cola from the above. What a difference 10 days makes!

March 10: Both remaining plants with (very large) cat for scale. They're small, but honestly I'm delighted. Just this week I was able to order a PH and EC meter, and I know there's nowhere from here to go but up. 😀  Already thinking it's time to pop beans for grow no. 2, to slide in under oppressive summer heat here in AZ.

Bonus March 10: Loupe shot, hard to take a steady picture as I have shaky hands. My heart still warms over to see my baby resin pokin' out.

This post was modified 6 months ago by liability.esquire

ReplyQuote
(@liability-esquire)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Just to underline things from a buyer's perspective, 5/6 of the free seeds I've germinated to date have popped, 4/5 of those grew, 4/4 of those were female and auto. Draw your own conclusions; I was very pleased with this outcome from a $15 investment on my first try growing. 😀 

ReplyQuote
(@aj999)
Member Admin

Thanks for the update! Those plants look good, and the size of the pot determines the size of the plant to a point. Anyways I would be happy with that result as well...Great Job!

ReplyQuote
(@sara-walker)
Eminent Member Customer

@liability-esquire. I have always noticed that my ladies tend to do better when they go a few days without as well.  I know the roots will grow much more vigorously when they are forced to go looking for water and nutrients.  It makes them stronger  and so that when you do get around to watering them/or feeding them they take it all in and absorb everything.  I love Mykos !  Those little guys can really help your ladies break down some stuff... Good luck to you !

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@lonie-piel)
New Member Customer

Have sprouted 3 out of 5 seeds and put under grow lamp and after about 10 days have come up about an inch with leaves. I'm a first time grower so went with the free seeds. Normally been growing tomatoes during the summer from home depot. New hobby to try this spring! Just ordered more since lost a few in lawn when wind blew over my paper towel with seedlings. Have to plant in the house next time.

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@marc-pinsky)
Active Member Customer

Thanks for the posts.  Did they all make it to harvest?  Since I'm a newbie at this would have liked a magnified pic of hairs (tan?)and tricomes (milky?) just before the harvest so I can see how an indoor plant progressed.  Did you use natural lighting or a grow light?  Big congrads to you!

ReplyQuote
Share: